Language selection


United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales) – Export requirements for meat products and poultry meat products


Export requirements for Northern Ireland are different from those of the Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales). Distinct requirements are as follows:

  1. Northern Ireland: see export requirements for the European Union (EU) and the specific labelling information outlined in the section on "Other information" of these requirements.
  2. Great Britain (GB): see export requirements for the European Union (EU), and the specific labelling information outlined in the section on "Other information" and certification requirements outlined in the section on "Documentation" of these requirements.

1. Documentation


(i) All EU certification requirements apply except that as of April 1, 2021 the certificates must show Great Britain as the destination of jurisdiction.

(ii) Below are the additional veterinary certificates that must be issued along with form CFIA/ACIA 1454.

Certificates complying with Great Britain’s requirements will be included in this section as soon as available.

2. Documentation

a) Labelling

Specific labelling requirements for food imported to the UK (Great Britain and Northern Ireland) apply as of January 2021 and are as follows:

(i) Food placed on the market in both Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Packaging will need to display an address for both Great Britain and the EU, or a single address in Northern Ireland. A single address in Great Britain will not be sufficient.

(ii) Food placed on the market in Great Britain only (England, Wales and Scotland)

The packaging must display the name and address of the UK Food Business Operator (FBO) responsible for the information presented on the label. If the FBO is not established in the UK, the name and UK address of the importer into the UK will need to be provided.

(iii) Food placed on the market in Northern Ireland only

The packaging will need an address in either Northern Ireland or the EU. A single address in Great Britain will not be sufficient.

(iv) Period of transition for imports into Great Britain currently using an EU address

For importers currently importing into Great Britain using an EU FBO or importer address, packaging can continue to use this until 30 September 2022 in order to allow for supply chains to deplete. Where necessary, over-stickering may be used to make corrections for placing food on the UK market. This can take place after importation of the food, but must be before the food is placed on the market. Over-stickers must be designed and applied in such a way as to maintain compliance with all other food labelling rules.

b) Samples of animal products

(can include meat, dairy products and research samples) may be exported to this country provided the following conditions are being met:

(i) The shipment must be of a non-commercial nature.

(ii) A permit has been issued by the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) in England, the National Assembly for Wales, the Scottish Executive, Environment and Rural Affairs Department or the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development for Northern Ireland authorizing the entry of the product.

(iii) Importation would be permitted for laboratory or research purposes. It would normally be permitted for animal or human consumption. Once the testing is complete, residue of the product and packaging must be destroyed at a named incineration plant.

(iv) The permit must be presented to HQ's in Ottawa for their information and so that the shipment information and any appropriate guidance can be relayed to the Regional Office concerned.

(v) The following information must be provided with the permit:

c) Imports of other animal products

For the importation into the UK of products not covered by paragraph (a) above and for which there is no EU legislation in place, an animal health import licence may be required. In some cases, a "general licence" may already be in place. These are valid indefinitely and are sent to importers on request.

Where a general licence does not exist, the importer should apply for a "specific licence". If granted, a licence would be issued to a named applicant. The validity period of the licence and quantity permitted may vary depending on the nature of the product and country from which it is imported. Both General and Specific licences set out the conditions under which the product can be imported. This may include a requirement for a veterinary certificate to accompany each consignment.

For details on Licences that are available please contact the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs.

Date modified: