Importing food to Canada: general requirements
Requirements to import food into Canada apply to all importers, regardless of the food imported. These requirements include the need for a licence, preventive control plan, traceability documents and recall procedures.
- Fact sheet: Importing food
Access a general overview of the import requirements under the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR).
- Infographic: 3 Key principles for importers
Access a visual representative of the key principles to keeping food safe for importers.
- Understanding the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations: A handbook for food businesses
Get a general overview of the SFCR, including the trade requirements.
- Questions and answers: Importing food
Find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions related to importing food.
Know the requirements
- Regulatory requirements: Trade
Learn about the requirements found in Part 2 (Trade) of the SFCR related to the rules around trading food internationally and inter-provincially.
Learn more about the licensing requirements to import food and the tools that are available to you.
- Preventive control plan
Access templates and guides that have been created to help you understand the requirements for a preventive control plan.
- Traceability for food
Find out more about what you need to have in place to meet your traceability requirements.
- Food safety and emergency response
Learn more about how to handle complaints and food recalls for your imported food commodity.
- Automated Import Reference System (AIRS)
Access AIRS and learn more about import requirements for your food commodity
- Importing food: A step-by-step guide
Learn about the steps you follow to import food into Canada.
- Guide for preparing a preventive control plan (PCP) – For importers
A guide for importers that require a PCP under the SFCR.
- Preventive control plan (PCP) templates – for importers
Templates that further illustrate what a PCP includes.
- Importing food for personal use
Find out more about the requirements for people that are travelling or immigrating to Canada and bring in food for personal use.
- Importation of food and plant products for trade shows and exhibitions in Canada
A guide to importing products intended only for sampling or other free distribution during a trade show, exhibition or similar event.
- Date modified: