Humane transport and animal welfare
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), provincial and territorial governments, producers, transporters, industry organizations, and many others each have a role to play in animal welfare. The CFIA regulates the humane transport of animals and the humane treatment of food animals in federal abattoirs.
- Health of Animals Act (HAA)
- Health of Animals Regulations (HAR)
- Interpretive guidance (IG) for regulated parties on humane transport regulations
- Codes of practice for the care and handling of farm animals (transportation)
- Humane handling and slaughter of food animals in Canada
- Reporting humane animal transport concerns
Services and information
Legal requirements for the humane transport of animals in Canada.
Responsibilities and guidance for transporting animals safely.
Interpretative guidance and tools to help you understand what is required in the transport of animals.
Guidance to ensure horses are fit for transport and designated border ports for entry.
Guidance, investigations, enforcement action and data, compliance.
Keep animals safe from harm and injury when they travel by land, air or sea.
Provincial and territorial legislation concerning farm animal welfare.
Measures for transporting animals during cold weather.
Measures for transporting animals during hot and humid weather.
- Date modified: