Preventive controls for food – Meat products
Although the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) came into force on January 15, 2019, certain requirements may apply in 2020 and 2021 based on food commodity, type of activity and business size. For more information, refer to the SFCR timelines.
Before you access information related to preventive controls for meat products, make sure you review the information on General food requirements and guidance. The Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) set out certain requirements, such as licensing, preventive controls and traceability that apply to most food commodities.
Additional information can also be found at Food-specific requirements and guidance – Meat products and food animals.
These documents provide information on select preventive control practices for operators to mitigate food safety risks associated with the preparation of processed meat products. This information is intended to inform and support the development and implementation of a preventive control plan.
- Food Safety Enhancement Program approach to a preventive control plan
- Preventive controls for E. coli O157/NM in raw beef products
- Preventive control recommendations for manufacturing cooked ready-to-eat meat products
- Preventive control recommendations for cooling heat processed meat products
- Preventive control recommendations on the use of nitrites in the curing of meat products
- Preventive control recommendations for manufacturing fermented and dried meat products
- Preventive control recommendations for Trichinella spiralis in pork products
- Salmonella control options in frozen raw breaded chicken products
Preventive controls for food businesses
Access a collection of information related to preventive controls.
Preventive control plan
Learn about the preventive control plan requirements. Find out if and when you need to have a written preventive control plan and learn how you can build and implement one.
Guidance for food establishments concerning construction materials and packaging materials and non-food chemicals
- Date modified: