The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is responsible for the administration of the Seeds Act and Seed Regulations to help ensure that seeds sold in, imported into and exported from Canada meet established standards for quality and are labelled so that they are properly represented in the marketplace, and are registered prior to sale in Canada (most agricultural crop varieties).
The CFIA's seed section is the registrar for both variety registration and registered seed establishment programs.
Access CFIA's seed regulatory modernization to learn more about this initiative.
- ABCs of seed importation into Canada
- Shipping and exporting seeds from Canada
- Reporting and disposing of unsolicited seeds
- Regulation of industrial hemp seed
- Regulation of cannabis seed
- Seed exports
- Seed imports
- Seed industry advisories
- Seed inspection procedures
- CVB/CFIA roles and responsibilities with respect to the Seed Program
- Official seed tags
- Seed testing and grading
- Definitions, acronyms and references for the seed program
- Additional government and industry information
- Date modified: