Language selection


Questions and answers: Asian longhorned beetle

Who is eligible for compensation?

Property owners who received a CFIA Notice to Dispose between April 1, 2013 and March 31, 2019 and received a compensation claim package are eligible for compensation.

How do I apply for compensation?

To apply to the CFIA for compensation, you must have:

  1. received a "Notice to Dispose" issued by the CFIA between April 1, 2013 and March 31, 2019, requiring the removal of one or more host trees on your property;
  2. had the host tree(s) removed by the CFIA; and
  3. purchased (a) non-host replacement tree(s) and planted it (them) on the same property.

What should my application include?

Your application must be submitted on or before December 31, 2020 and include:

  1. a copy of your Notice to Dispose and the original receipts for the replacement tree(s) (or a solemn declaration in lieu of providing those same receipts); and
  2. a completed Direct Deposit Application Form.

For what will I be compensated?

Compensation can cover the cost to purchase and plant replacement trees that are not hosts for ALHB.

What trees are hosts for Asian longhorned beetle?

Host trees for ALHB include: maple, poplar, willow, elm, birch, hackberry, mountain ash, horse chestnut, sycamore, goldenrain tree, katsura, and silk tree.

What are the compensation amounts?

Compensation is for the direct cost of replacing a host tree up to a set maximum amount. The maximum amounts are $300 per tree ordered removed on private property, $150 per tree on public land, and $40 per tree in woodlots. These maximum amounts include both the purchase cost of a tree and the reasonable costs for planting.

Where can I submit my claim?

Canadian Food Inspection Agency
1124 Finch Avenue West, Unit #2
Toronto, Ontario
M3J 2E2

Will the CFIA audit compensation claims?

Inspections may be carried out by the CFIA to substantiate the information contained in compensation applications.

Date modified: