National Import Service Centre
As of January 1, 2022, there will be updates to the Harmonized System (HS) code structure as a result of recent changes announced by the World Customs Organization. Please review the 2022 HS Code structure table for updates to avoid shipment disruptions. For more information, refer to the Fact Sheet on Harmonized System Updates.
Changes are coming to the NISC phone line on March 21, 2022. The CFIA will be improving its services by implementing an automated phone system to help guide callers to the information and/or services they require. A call-back option will be available should callers require further assistance.
What the National Import Service Centre does
The National Import Service Centre processes import request documentation / data sent by the importing community across Canada. Staff review the information and return the decision electronically to the CBSA, which then relays it to the client or the broker/importer.
In addition, NISC staff handle inquiries regarding import requirements for all commodities regulated by the CFIA and, when necessary, coordinate inspections for import shipments.
Hours of operation: 7 am to 3 am (Eastern Standard Time)
By phone: Monday to Friday, from 7 am to 11 pm EST
By email: Every day, from 7 am to 3 am EST
(Weekends and statutory holidays: email only)
Telephone: 1-800-835-4486 or 1-877-493-0468 (Canada or U.S.A.) | 1-289-247-4099 (Local calls and all other countries)
Please note that we are currently experiencing an increased volume of calls and that e-mail is the best method to communicate with us.
Statutory holidays (2022)
- New Year's Day: Monday, January 3, 2022
- Good Friday: Friday, April 15, 2022
- Easter Monday: Monday, April 18, 2022
- Victoria Day: Monday, May 23, 2022
- Canada Day: Friday, July 1, 2022
- Civic Holiday: Monday, August 1, 2022
- Labour Day: Monday, September 5, 2022
- National Day for Truth and Reconciliation: Friday, September 30, 2022
- Thanksgiving: Monday, October 10, 2022
- Remembrance Day: Friday, November 11, 2022
- Christmas Day (in lieu): Monday, December 26, 2022
- Boxing Day (in lieu): Tuesday, December 27, 2022
Submissions larger than 150 MB in size: Facsimile: 1-905-795-9658
Integrated Import Declaration (IID) status
All importers and customs brokers are expected to now be only using the IID channel when declaring CFIA regulated goods to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). If you are experiencing issues in transitioning please contact EDI-CFIA-ACIA@inspection.gc.ca for additional support. Delaying your transition to full usage of the IID channel could lead to longer wait times when it comes to clearing your shipments, as our resources are now focused on supporting the improved declaration process.
- Notice to industry (2021-12-06): Important update: Changes coming to the Harmonized System codes in Automated Import Reference System
- Notice to industry (2021-06-14): Declaring the name of the importer of record and the Safe Food for Canadians licence holder
- Notice to industry (2020-03-18): Changes to declaring non-commercial shipments containing CFIA regulated goods to the CBSA
- Notice to industry (2019-03-29): Reminder: It's time to start using the integrated import declaration
- Notice to industry (2019-03-28): Testing and certification for the Integrated Import Declaration (IID)
- Notice to industry (2019-01-07): Service change for commercial importers or brokers who declare CFIA regulated imports to the CBSA
- Fact sheet: Understanding the Harmonized System Updates – January 2022
- Declaring CFIA regulated goods as Canadian Goods Returning
- Fact sheet: Single Window Initiative: Integrated Import Declaration
- Understanding a reject message sent through the Integrated Import Declaration (IID)
CFIA programs and services
- Automated Import Reference System (AIRS)
- Automated Shipment Inspection Status Search Tool (ASISST)
- AIRS Verification Service
Import related codes
- IID Government Agency Qualifier codes
- AIRS End Use Code
- AIRS Miscellaneous Code
- CFIA AIRS Registration Types
- Date modified: