Food safety rules checklist for small business
Three steps to prepare for the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations
If you are a small business operating in Canada's food sector, there are food safety rules that you need to follow.
Your business might need to have:
- a Safe Food for Canadians licence
- preventive controls and traceability measures in place
Businesses importing and exporting food
The Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) apply to all food businesses that import food into Canada or prepare food that will be exported from Canada or traded from one province or territory to another.
If you operate within one province or territory, some SFCR requirements may still apply to you.
Your checklist to prepare for the SFCR
- Step 1. Find out if you need a Safe Food for Canadians licence
- Step 2. Create a My CFIA account
- Step 3. Apply for a licence through your My CFIA account
Need more information? Visit CFIA's toolkit for food businesses.
- Date modified: