Language selection


Food licences

Under the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR), certain food businesses will require a licence to conduct one or more activities.

Services and information

Who needs a licence

Answer a few questions with this interactive tool to know whether you need to apply.

Before you apply

Steps to apply, change a licence, food categories, if you already have a licence or registration.

Activities needing a licence

Trade within and outside Canada, manufacturing, processing, treating, preserving, grading, packaging, labelling, sector-specific rules.

Importing food with a licence

Automatic licence verification, steps to make sure you have a valid licence, how to correct errors.

Create a My CFIA account

How to sign up for business use, create profiles, and assign contacts.

Trading food

Rules for trading within a province, between provinces, or with another country.

Regulatory requirements

The rules that give us the authority to give, renew, amend, suspend or cancel a food licence.

Find a licence

Find out if a business is licensed under the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations.

Food licence overview

How it works and why it matters in English, French, and 10 other languages.


Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Don't include personal information (telephone, email, SIN, financial, medical, or work details).
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Date modified: