United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland – Export requirements for milk and dairy products
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland where Great Britain includes the devolved nations of England, wales and Scotland and their islands is now considered by the European Union (EU) as a third country. However, a special status has been granted to Northern Ireland which remains aligned with the EU on sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) measures.
On this page
- Eligible/ineligible product
- Pre-export approvals by the competent authority of the importing country
- Production Controls and Inspection Requirements
- Labelling, packaging and marking requirements
- Required documents
- Additional information
1. Eligible/ineligible product
The export certificates for milk and dairy products including colostrum and colostrum based products refer to a list of Harmonized System (HS) code(s). It is the responsibility of the exporter to ensure that the product being exported will be covered by the certificates issued by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA).
- The list of Harmonized System codes can be found on the model health certificates.
- Information not available
2. Pre-export approvals by the competent authority of the importing country
- Establishments must appear on the appropriate establishment list administered by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. The establishments must fulfill the relevant provisions of the following legislation and associated legislation for Animal Products:
- Retained Regulation (EU) 625/2019
- Retained Regulation (EC) 853/2004 – Article 6 & Annex III
- The list pertinent to milk and dairy products is available on the Establishments approved to export animals and animal products to Great Britain (GB). Please select List of establishments in non-EU countries approved to export animal products to GB. Please sort by:
- Country name "CA Canada"
- Sector "food"
- Section IX Raw milk or dairy products or colostrum and colostrum based products
- If products requiring temperature control are being exported from a storage warehouse outside the licensed facility, the storage warehouse must be licensed by the CFIA. It must also be on the list of establishments approved to export dairy products to the GB.
Procedure to update the Great Britain approval lists
Please refer to European Union (EU) – Export requirements for milk and dairy products page to complete the Request for Addition to the list of Canadian Dairy Establishment Approved for Export to the EU (accessible only on the Government of Canada network – RDIMS 8164839), however you will need to specify in your application that the request is for the GB.
3. Production Controls and Inspection Requirements
See European Union (EU) – Export requirements for milk and dairy products
4. Labelling, packaging and marking requirements
Exported products depending on their final destination (Great Britain and/or Northern Ireland) mainly must meet certain packaging and labelling requirements. The exporter must work closely with the importer to ensure the compliance of their products. The labelling activity must be conducted in the approved establishment.
5. Required documents
The export health certificates below cover products exported to Great Britain (GB) including England, Wales, Scotland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. References to EU legislation within this certificate are references to direct EU legislation which has been retained in Great Britain (retained EU law as defined in the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018).
- Health certificate for dairy products derived from raw milk for human consumption, from third countries or parts thereof authorised in column A of Annex I from non-EU countries GBHC065X. (CFIA/ACIA 5940)
- Health Certificate for dairy products derived from milk of cows, ewes, goats and buffaloes for human consumption from third countries or parts thereof authorised in column B of Annex I from non-EU countries GBHC066X. (CFIA/ACIA 5921)
- Health certificate for dairy products for human consumption from third countries or parts thereof authorised in column C of Annex I from non-EU countries GBHC067X. (CFIA/ACIA 5941)
- Health certificate for colostrum of cows, ewes, goats and buffaloes and colostrum-based products derived from colostrum of the same species from third countries or parts thereof listed in column A of Annex I for human consumption from non-EU countries GBHC068X. (CFIA/ACIA 5942)
- Health certificate for raw milk, colostrum, dairy products or colostrum-based products for human consumption, intended for transit or storage from non-EU countries GBHC069X. (CFIA/ACIA 5934)
- references to Great Britain in this certificate include the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
- the model health certificate (CFIA/ACIA 5934) is used for transit through or storage in Great Britain of dairy products.
6. Additional information
Exported products transiting through a country may require transit documentation. It is the responsibility of the exporter to ensure that the shipment will be accompanied by all necessary certificates. Please work closely with your importer.
Samples (personal or commercial) of products may be subject to the same requirements as a regular shipment. A special import permit could be required. It is strongly recommended that the exporter verify these requirements with their importer and/or with the border control post where the products will be shipped.
- Health certificates for animal and animal product imports to Great Britain
- United Kingdom border control posts
- Northern Ireland Points of Entry
- Legal standards for labelling and composition for certain food products
- General import licences for research and diagnostic samples, trade samples and display items and some animals products
- Import of products, animals, food and feed system (IPAFFS)
- Date modified: