Applying to import live animals, semen, embryos, animal products and by-products
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
Importers complete the applications for permit to import. Before you apply make sure you need an import permit for the commodity. Check the Automated Import Reference System for import requirements or check with the import office in your province or the province in which you're importing.
Submit your application for permit to import through the My CFIA service portal for:
- animal pathogens (Form CFIA/ACIA 5858)
- animal products and by-products (Form CFIA/ACIA 5859)
- live animals, hatching eggs and animal germplasm (Form CFIA/ACIA 5860)
My CFIA allows you to submit a service request, track the status of your application, and pay online.
Apply by fax or mail
You can still send your application to the Centre of Administration by fax or mail if you don't have access to My CFIA.
The Application for Permit to Import (CFIA/ACIA 5083) has been replaced by these 3 forms:
- Application for Permit to Import Animal Pathogens (CFIA/ACIA 5858)
- Application for Permit to Import Animal Products and By-Products (CFIA/ACIA 5859)
- Application for Permit to Import Live Animals, Hatching Eggs and Animal Germplasm (CFIA/ACIA 5860)
- Validating an animal health import permit before importing
- Import policies - Live animals
- Import policies - Semen and embryos
- Import policies - Animal products and by-products
- Import policies - General
- Date modified: