Import policies: pet food, treats and chews containing animal products and by-products
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) regulates pet food imports and related products to prevent animal diseases from being introduced into Canada.
The following products containing animal products and by-products are regulated under the Health of Animals Regulations if they are imported into Canada.
- pet food (for example, dog food and cat food)
- pet treats
- pet chews
The oversight of pet food by the CFIA is limited to compliance with regulatory requirements for import and export of animal products and by-products.
Find out who else is involved with the regulation of pet food in Canada.
Travellers may bring into Canada a personal import of pet food (limit of 20 kg), if the import meets all of the following requirements:
- the pet food or product must be of United States origin and be commercially packaged
- the pet food or product must be in the possession of the traveller at the time of entry from the U.S.
- the animal that will eat the imported product must accompany the traveller at the time of entry
- the imported product is fed only to the animal that accompanied the traveller into Canada
A review of the specific risks is required before the CFIA will issue an import permit. In some cases, the CFIA may require an inspection of the producing establishment in the foreign country to obtain more information before it makes a decision.
Specific import requirements, based on the applicable animal health policies, can be reviewed in the Automated Import Reference System (AIRS).
- Annex 1 – Importation of commercially prepared pet food: facility questionnaire for risk assessment
- Terrestrial Animal Products and By-products: Import Policy Framework
- Apply for a permit to import
Notices to industry
- Changes to import requirements for pet chews made from animal products and by-products
- Changes to import and export certification requirements for shelf-stable thermally processed pet food, treats and chews for Canada and the United States
Additional government and industry information
- Guide for the Labelling and Advertising of Pet Foods
- Pet Food Association of Canada
- Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council
- Date modified: