List of approved feed ingredients
Schedules IV and V of the Feeds Regulations are the lists of ingredients that have been evaluated and approved by the CFIA for manufacture, sale or import in Canada.
Part 1 of Schedules IV and V
Ingredients listed in Part I of Schedules IV and V are exempt from registration and may be imported, sold and used freely in the manufacture of feeds in Canada, provided they:
- conform to the ingredient definition as listed
- are labelled as prescribed including required guarantees and
- meet standards identified in the regulations and further defined in regulatory guidance
Part I ingredients may not have extra label guarantees or claims. Ingredients with extra label guarantees or claims that are not prescribed in the Feeds Regulations require pre-market assessment and approval.
Part II of Schedules IV and V
Ingredients in Part II Schedule IV and V are not exempt from registration. As there may be inherent safety and/or efficacy variations associated with an individual source of the ingredient, or introduced via the manufacturing process, a pre-market assessment is required. Each source of these ingredients must, therefore, be registered with information/data to support the safety and/or efficacy of the product.
Ingredients requiring approval and/or registration
- Any ingredient that is not currently listed in Schedules IV or V, or
- Any single ingredient feed that is listed in Schedule IV or V that is different in terms of:
- its composition, structure, nutritional quality or physiological effects
- the process by which it is manufactured
- the manner in which it is metabolized in the body of the livestock intended to be fed
- its safety
- the species or class of livestock intended to be fed and the usage rate, and
- its purpose as set out in the Schedules IV and V, or
- Ingredients in Part II of Schedule IV or V
For more information about approval or registration, refer to the RG-1 Regulatory Guidance: Feed Registration Procedures and Labelling Standards.
The Schedules IV and V of the Feeds Regulations are available on request by emailing the Feed Program. Please send an e-mail with the subject line "Schedules IV and V" to the Animal Feed Program at: email@example.com
- Date modified: