Risk Assessment models
The mandate of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is to safeguard food, animal, and plant health, thereby contributing to the health and well-being of Canadians, the environment, and the economy. To further improve the delivery of its mandate, and in a world where risks, innovation and new technologies are constantly evolving, the CFIA is adapting to be more efficient.
Risk-informed decision making is at the core of the agency's everyday work. The way we manage risk will further support industry's ability to compete globally and by embracing new technology, will provide more efficient and responsive services.
The Establishment-based Risk Assessment (ERA) and the Importer Risk Assessment (IRA) models were developed by the CFIA to help prioritize our inspection activities in federally regulated establishments and food importers licensed under the Safe Food for Canadian Regulations respectively. These models use establishment and importer-specific data and mathematical algorithms to evaluate regulated parties, in terms of the level of food safety and/or animal health risks. They will help identify areas of higher risk and inform where CFIA inspectors should be spending more time.
CFIA reviews and updates the ERA/IRA models on an ongoing basis, using most up-to-date science, technology, and risk assessment approaches. The models are designed to adapt quickly to emerging global and scientific trends, new risks and changes within the industry.
Domestic food establishments
- The Establishment-based Risk Assessment model for food establishments
- Understanding the ERA-Food model
- ERA-Food model: the science behind it
- Infographic: ERA-Food model
- Questions and answers: ERA-Food model
- Additional Establishment Information
- Industry eLearning on the ERA-Food model
- The Establishment-based Risk Assessment model for hatcheries
- Understanding the ERA-Hatchery model
- ERA-Hatchery model: the science behind it
- Infographic: ERA-Hatchery model
- The Establishment-based Risk Assessment model for feed mills
- ERA-Feed Mill model: the science behind it
- Infographic: ERA-Feed Mill model
- The Establishment-based Risk Assessment model for renderers
- ERA-Renderer model: the science behind it
- Infographic: ERA-Renderer model
- The Importer Risk Assessment model (IRA)
- The Importer Risk Assessment (IRA) model: the science behind it
- Infographic: IRA model
- Date modified: