Preventive controls for food - Dairy products
Before you access information related to preventive controls for dairy, make sure you review the information on General food requirements and guidance. The Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) set out certain requirements, such as licensing, preventive controls and traceability that apply to most food commodities.
Additional information can also be found at Food-specific requirements and guidance – Dairy products.
These documents provide information on select preventive control practices for operators to mitigate food safety risks associated with the processing of dairy products. This information is intended to inform and support the development and implementation of a preventive control plan.
Good manufacturing practices
- Aseptic processing and packaging systems
- Batch pasteurization systems
- Critical process test procedures
- Evaluation of dairy processing equipment
- Formulation and processing controls for processed cheeses, sweetened condensed milk and aerosol-packaged products
- Heat exchangers
- High temperature short time (HTST) pasteurization systems
- Higher heat shorter time (HHST) pasteurization systems and Extended shelf life (ESL)
- Non-thermal processing
- Retort systems
- Vitamin addition
- Appendix A: Compressed air - milk and milk product contact surfaces
- Appendix B: Constant level tank design
- Appendix C: Meter based timing system
- Appendix D: Criteria for the evaluation of computerized food safety controls
- Appendix E: Diagram of valves (close coupled, leak protector, plug, air space heating)
- Appendix F: Processed cheese microbiological stability chart for non-refrigerated products (applies only to full fat cheese)
- Appendix G: Preventing cross connections
- Appendix H: Use of wood in dairy facilities
- Appendix I: Water reclaimed from condensing of milk and milk products
- Appendix J: Design criteria for digital thermometers for use in critical processes
- Appendix K: Fo value
- Appendix L: Examples of steam injectors
- Appendix M: Pressure switch settings
- Appendix N: Vacuum breaker
Preventive controls for food businesses
Access a collection of information related to preventive controls.
Preventive control plan
Learn about the preventive control plan requirements. Find out if and when you need to have a written preventive control plan and learn how you can build and implement one.
Voluntary guidance on improving the safety of soft and semi-soft cheese made from unpasteurized milk
Learn about preventive controls to mitigate potential health risks associated with the production and consumption of soft and semi-soft cheeses made from raw and unpasteurized milk.
- Date modified: