Procedures for the Registration of Crop Varieties in Canada
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
February 27, 2023
This updated document will provide information on recent policy and procedural changes required after the ability to apply for variety registration was introduced into the My CFIA digital platform.
As this is an interpretive document to the Seeds Regulations part III, the wording in this document may not be identical to the wording of the regulations. Please refer to the Seeds Regulations part III if you require information on the actual wording.
This document replaces the one published on July 16, 2012.
On this page
Section A - General information
- 1. Legislation
- 2. False or misleading statements
- 3. Registration
- 4. Restricted registrations
- 5. Eligibility requirements for registration
- 6. Cancellation (deregistration) of registration
- 7. Reinstatement of registration
- 8. Review of registration decisions
- 9. Recommending committees
- 10. Descriptions of varieties
- 11. Confidential business information (CBI)
- 12. Advertising a variety prior to registration
- Section B - Application procedures
- Appendix I: Crops kinds subject to variety registration
- Appendix II: Legal reference sample size requirements and checklist
- Appendix III: Registration policy for canola/rapeseed varieties
- Appendix IV: Guidelines for submission of molecular hybridity test methods (Canola as a case model)
- Appendix V: Registration policy for potato varieties
- Appendix VI: Guidelines for submission of molecular trait detection methods
- Appendix VII: Registration policy for varieties with novel traits
- Appendix VIII: Guidelines for generating data to support herbicide tolerance claims
- Appendix IX: Recommendations from cereal crop committees in Eastern Canada
- Appendix X: Quality control system requirements for varieties subject to contract registration
- Appendix XI: Committees recommending varieties for registration
- Appendix XII: Guide to commonly used pedigree nomenclature systems
- Appendix XIII: Submission of fees
- Date modified: