Red La Soda
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
Description - PDF (35 kb)
Pictures - PDF (303 kb)
Click on image for larger view
- Origin & Breeding: a colour mutant of the La Soda variety discovered in South Dakota by C.S. Blackman in 1949. The La Soda variety was bred by Louisiana State University from (Triumph x Katahdin) and selected at the Louisiana Agricultural Experiment Station, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in 1936.
- Year registered in Canada: 1968
- Registration number: 1139
- Maturity: mid-season
- Plants: medium size, spreading; stems prominently angled, nodes slightly swollen; wings prominent, slightly waved.
- Leaves: close, long, broad, dark green; midribs scantly pubescent.
Primary leaflets: ovate, three to four pairs.
Secondary leaflets: numerous, on the midrib between pairs of primary leaflets.
Tertiary leaflets: numerous, on the midrib between pairs of primary leaflets, at the junctions of the midrib and petiolules of the primary leaflets and on primary leaflets petiolules.
- Flowers: large, lavender corolla; scantly pubescent green buds.
- Tubers: elliptical to slightly oblong; bright deep red skin; medium-deep, wide eyes; white flesh.
- Sprouts: dark reddish purple.
High yielding variety of attractive appearance. Resistant to tip burn, and to wind, heat and drought damage; some resistance to mechanical bruising. Slightly susceptible to hollow heart and growth cracks. Wide adaptation, grows well in both southern and northern areas. Medium specific gravity; good storability with medium dormancy.
- Utilization: good for boiling, baking, chipping and french frying.
- Chief Market: seed exportation.
Reaction to Diseases
Moderately resistant: early blight.
Susceptible: black leg, common scab, fusarium dry rot, late blight, leaf roll, verticillium wilt, PVX and PVY.
Note: Red La Soda shows typical PVY symptoms.
References: 1, 6.
Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org regarding potato variety descriptions.
- Date modified: