Notice to industry – New movement restrictions in place to prevent the spread of hemlock woolly adelgid
May 28, 2020 – Ottawa – Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Following the recent detection of hemlock woolly adelgid in Niagara Falls and Wainfleet, Ontario, movement restrictions on regulated materials have been put in place for the city of Niagara Falls and the township of Wainfleet in the Province of Ontario.
In order to slow the spread of hemlock woolly adelgid and protect non-infested areas in Canada, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) restricts the movement of susceptible wood products from infested areas. As a result, wood products from these counties may be moved within the regulated area but may not be moved to non-infested areas.
Movement of the following items out of the regulated area is prohibited unless authorized by the CFIA:
- hemlock, yeddo spruce, and tiger-tail spruce:
- plants for planting (that is, nursery stock, roots, bulbs, seeds and other plant parts)
- forest products with bark attached (that is, logs, lumber, bark chips, wood mulch)
- dried branches
- Christmas trees
- fresh decorative wreaths, foliage and branches
- firewood of all species
These movement restrictions expand upon existing restrictions for the provinces of British Columbia and Nova Scotia.
Requirements in the Hemlock Woolly Adelgid Infested Place Order, the Plant Protection Act or the Plant Protection Regulations, take precedence over the requirements outlined in D-07-05: Phytosanitary Requirements to Prevent the Introduction and Spread of the Hemlock Woolly Adelgid (Adelges tsugae Annand) from the United States and within Canada. This directive will be updated in the upcoming months.
Hemlock woolly adelgid is an aphid-like insect that can damage or kill hemlock trees. It can be spread by wind, animals, and human movement of nursery stock, logs, and firewood and other wood products. Hemlock woolly adelgid does not pose a risk to human health.
- Hemlock Woolly Adelgid Infested Places Order
- Don't move firewood campaign
- D-07-05: Phytosanitary Requirements to Prevent the Introduction and Spread of the Hemlock Woolly Adelgid (Adelges tsugae Annand) from the United States and within Canada
- Hemlock woolly adelgid – additional information
- Date modified: