Automated Import Reference System (AIRS)
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
The following services may not be available on December 11, 2022 from 5:30 am to 6:30 am (EST):
- Electronic Data Interchange – Integrated Import Declaration (EDI – IID)
Please contact the National Import Service Centre at 1-800-835-4486 or email@example.com if you have questions or need assistance.
Changes to email notification service
We're upgrading our email notification system. From December 5 to 13, 2022, you won't be able to make any changes to your subscription. Don't worry, you'll still get emails from us, and will be able to update your settings after December 14. There's no need to resubscribe for updates.
The Automated Import Reference System (AIRS) shows the import requirements for Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) regulated commodities.
Access the Automated Import Reference System (AIRS) (opens in new window) and follow the series of drop down options that include:
- the Harmonized System (HS) classification
- end use and miscellaneous qualifiers pertaining to the commodity for import
What to consider when using AIRS:
- importers should consult Acts as passed by Parliament to interpret and apply the law
- AIRS is only for reference
- AIRS information is updated frequently
- importers are responsible to ensure their information is accurate at the time of importation
Requesting import permits through My CFIA
Once you've accessed AIRS and determined that you require a permit to import, it can be requested through the agency's online service portal, My CFIA. By signing up for a My CFIA account, you can submit a new service request, track the status of your application and pay for the service online. A list of online services currently available can be found on the agency's website.
If you do not have access to My CFIA, a completed application can also be faxed or mailed to CFIA, National Centre of Permissions (NCP).
AIRS codes and registration types
AIRS Verification Service
- Date modified: