Fact sheet: Supporting food businesses
Safe Food for Canadians Regulations
The Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) have introduced modern food safety requirements for food businesses that import food, or prepare food to be exported or sent across provincial or territorial boundaries.
New rules can sometimes be difficult to understand and apply. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is committed to helping food businesses meet the new requirements.
How does CFIA support your business?
Gradual introduction of requirements
Some food sectors and small businesses may require time to get ready to meet new requirements. Some requirements had to be met immediately, while others will be introduced in 2020 and 2021 based on food commodity, type of activity and business size. To learn more, refer to the interactive tools and timelines.
Exemptions for micro businesses
A written preventive control plan (PCP) is not required for some businesses with gross annual sales of $100,000 or less, but they must still have preventive controls in place (such as sanitation and pest control measures).
Find out if and when you need a PCP by using the preventive control plan interactive tool. It only takes 5 minutes.
Plain language information
Even after reading the SFCR, you may still have questions about how the rules apply to your business. Visit www.inspection.gc.ca/safefood for information to help you understand the requirements and how you might implement them.
- Videos, including one for importers – provide an overview of the SFCR
- Understanding the Regulations: A handbook for food businesses – describes the SFCR in clear and simple language
- Interactive tools to help you quickly find out if and when you need a license and PCP, and what your traceability requirements are.
- Fact sheets on licensing, traceability, preventive controls, importing and exporting
- Step-by-step guides to developing a PCP with helpful templates, including one for importers
- Glossary of food safety terms
- Getting started : Toolkit for businesses
Services to support businesses
Sign up for My CFIA today to access a growing number of online services including, licences, export certificates, as well as electronic payment options.
Learn more at www.inspection.gc.ca/safefood.
- Date modified: