Labelling, standards of identity and grades
The food label is one of the most important and direct means of communicating product information between buyers and sellers. It is one of the primary means by which consumers differentiate between individual foods and brands to make informed purchasing choices.
Information on labelling, standards of identity and grades
Safe Food for Canadians Regulations
The Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) set out the requirements for all foods that are imported, exported and inter-provincially traded. Some traceability, labelling and advertising provisions also apply to intra-provincially traded foods. Requirements of standards of identity and grades have been included in documents incorporated by reference.
Companies must adhere to requirements under the Food and Drugs Act (FDA) and Food and Drug Regulations (FDR) in addition to those under the Safe Food for Canadians Act (SFCA) and SFCR.
The information below outlines the main changes to labelling, standards of identity and grade requirements under the SFCR.
- Definition of "prepackaged" and "consumer prepackaged"
- Preventive control plan (PCP) content for consumer protection
Provides information on the content of a PCP related to consumer protection, such as the measures for ensuring labelling, standards and grades requirements are met.
- Traceability-specific labelling requirements
- Ministerial exemptions
Exemptions for the purpose of selling test market food and to alleviate a shortage of food in Canada.
- Trade of fresh fruits and vegetables
Food and Drug Regulations - updates
- Implementation plan for amendments to the Food and Drug Regulations (Supplemented Foods)
- Implementation plan for amendments to the Food and Drug Regulations (Nutrition Symbols, Other Labelling Provisions, Vitamin D and Hydrogenated Fats or Oils)
Food labelling coordination
- Food labelling coordination
- Joint policy statement
- Consultation on Proposed Joint Policy Statement on Food Labelling Coordination [closed April 3, 2021]
- Summary of comments received on the draft joint policy statement
Food Product Innovation
- Food Product Innovation regulatory changes
- Food Product Innovation initiative
- Food Product Innovation: summary of changes
Notice to industry
- Date modified: