Notice to industry – Changes to the Canadian Grade Compendium: Volume 2 – Fresh Fruit or Vegetables
July 7, 2023
On this page
Summary of changes
This notice is to inform industry that changes have been made to the Canadian Grade Compendium: Volume 2 – Fresh Fruit or Vegetables.
These changes reflect what we heard from industry, trading partners, stakeholders, and the feedback received during the consultation period. The changes include:
- A new standard for greenhouse miniature seedless cucumbers
- Updates to the grades and requirements for greenhouse cucumbers, including changes to size requirements and clarifications to terminology for defects and tolerances
The modified and new standards are found in Part 2: Grade Requirements for Fresh Vegetables:
- Grades and Requirements for Greenhouse Long Seedless Cucumbers, paragraphs 148-154
- Grades and Requirements for Greenhouse Miniature Seedless Cucumbers, paragraphs 200-206
The second part of Phase 1, regarding the Grades and Requirements for Greenhouse Tomatoes, paragraphs 193-199, is currently under review for further discussion with industry.
The Canadian Grade Compendium is incorporated by reference into the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations. Changes to these documents follow the CFIA Incorporation by Reference Policy. The amended versions can be found in the Inventory of documents incorporated by reference in regulations that the CFIA administers.
Products subject to change
This change applies to the following fresh vegetables:
- greenhouse long seedless cucumbers
- greenhouse miniature seedless cucumbers
The CFIA is committed to providing industry with sufficient time to adjust product grading and labels. The transition period begins July 7, 2023, when this change came into force, and ends on January 6, 2024.
During the transition period, regulated parties may comply with either the previous or new grade requirements.
As of January 7, 2024, the previous grade requirements will cease to apply, and all regulated parties must comply with the new requirements.
Please send questions or concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Date modified: