Labelling requirements for processed fruit or vegetable products
Common name, in respect of a food, means:
In the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations,
- the name printed in boldface type, but not in italics, in the Canadian Standards of Identity document or in the document entitled Common Names for Prepackaged Fish incorporated by reference (IbR) in the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations;
- the name printed in boldface type, but not in italics, in the Food and Drug Regulations; or
- in any other case, the name by which the food is commonly known or that identifies its function [1, SFCR].
In the Food and Drug Regulations,
- the name printed in boldface type, but not in italics, in the Food and Drug Regulations;
- the name prescribed by any other federal regulation; or
- when not prescribed by regulation, the name by which the food is commonly known [B.01.001(1), FDR].
Consumer prepackaged, in respect of a food, means packaged in a container (definition) in the manner in which the food is ordinarily sold to or used or purchased by an individual — or in which the food may reasonably be expected to be obtained by an individual — without being repackaged, to be used for non-commercial purposes [1, SFCR].
Container means an outer receptacle or covering that is used or to be used in connection with a food. It includes a wrapper and a confining band but does not include a conveyance (definition) or any container that is an integral part of a conveyance [1, SFCR].
Conveyance means a vessel, aircraft, train, motor vehicle, trailer or other means of transportation, including a cargo container [2, SFCA].
Foreign state includes a WTO Member as defined in subsection 2(1) of the World Trade Organization Agreement Implementation Act [1, SFCR].
A prescribed name, mark or designation of a food commodity [2, SFCA].
Hermetically sealed package
A package that, due to its design, is secure against the entry of micro-organisms, including spores [1, SFCR].
Person means an individual or an organization as defined in section 2 of the Criminal Code [2, FDA; 2, SFCA].
A person may therefore be an individual or an organization, and may include a consumer, a manufacturer, a retailer, an importer, a restaurant, any other commercial or industrial enterprise, an institution such as a school or hospital, and anyone else who sells, uses, or buys a food.
Prepackaged, in respect of a food, means packaged in a container (definition) in the manner in which the food is ordinarily sold to or used or purchased by a person (definition), and includes consumer prepackaged (definition) [1, SFCR].
Processed fruit or vegetable product
Means a food,
- for which a standard is set out in the document Canadian Standards of Identity, Volume 4 – Processed Fruit or Vegetable Products
- for which a grade is set out in the Canadian Grade Compendium, Volume 3 – Processed Fruit or Vegetable Products
- that is set out in column 1 of Table 3 of Schedule 3 in items 2 to 11 or in column 1 of Table 4, 5 or 6 of that Schedule in the SFCR, or
- to which Division 3 of Part 10 of the SFCR applies [1, SFCR].
- Date modified: