Language selection


Food additives
Caffeine as a food additive

Health Canada's Marketing Authorizations allow for the use of caffeine and caffeine citrate as food additives in cola type beverages and "non-alcoholic carbonated water-based flavoured sweetened beverages" (this includes carbonated soft drinks). Additionally, Health Canada has provided preliminary guidance for industry on the labelling of caffeine content in prepackaged foods. While Health Canada's guidance reflects a best practice, it is currently a voluntary approach.

Caffeinated energy drinks are considered a food and require a Temporary Marketing Authorization Letter (TMAL) to allow for the use of caffeine. A TMAL may also include specifications regarding product composition and labelling. Refer to CFIA's guidance on the Transition of caffeinated energy drinks from NHPs to food using temporary marketing authorization letters (TMAL) for more information.

Date modified: