Ukraine – Export requirements for meat and poultry products
1. Eligible/ineligible products
- products including offals, derived from animals under 30 months of age (UTM) at time of slaughter
- Ready-to-eat processed meat products
- raw poultry meat is prohibited at this time as there is no certification agreement
2. Pre-export approvals
- Establishments (slaughter, processing establishments including cutting and boning establishments) must be approved prior to export.
- Refer to Annex 1 - List of Establishments Approved to Export to Ukraine for the list of approved establishments.
- To be included in the list, operators must submit Annex I - Application for Establishment Approval through the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) area office.
3. Product specifications, production controls and inspection requirements
- Operators of establishments listed in Annex 1 - List of Establishments Approved to Export to Ukraine, and cold stores, where eligible and non-eligible products are handled, must have written procedures in place that will ensure that non-eligible products can be distinguished from those that are eligible through receiving, processing, shipping and distribution.
- The written procedures must be reviewed and found satisfactory by the CFIA inspector-in-charge. Inspectors are then responsible for monitoring the operator's controls to ensure that they are adequately followed.
- In the case of products containing pork muscular tissue, freezing treatment for Trichinella control is required. Methods of treatment approved by the CFIA are acceptable, with the exception of Freezing Method # 5 (freezing in combo bins), as described in Section C of Control recommendations for the inactivation of Trichinella spiralis in pork products. Alternatively, meat must be derived from carcasses tested for trichina in an establishment where trichina testing is performed on all carcasses in a laboratory recognized by the CFIA for such purpose.
4. Labelling, packaging and marking requirements
- Importers and exporters are responsible to ensure that products are labelled in accordance with Ukrainian labelling requirements applicable at the time of importation.
Below are the additional veterinary certificates that must be issued along with form CFIA/ACIA 1454.
- For pork, Annex A, Veterinary certificate for fresh pork meat for export to Ukraine must be issued.
- For beef, Annex C, Veterinary certificate for beef and beef products exported from Canada to Ukraine must be issued. Beef offal can be exported with the current beef certificate to Ukraine but exporter should work with their importers to get details on requirements for export of beef offal to Ukraine.
- For processed ready-to-eat meat products, Annex D, Veterinary certificate for sausages, canned goods, and other processed ready-to-eat products exported from Canada to Ukraine must be issued.
6. Other information
- Importers and exporters are fully responsible to comply with chemical, toxicological, microbiological and radiological standards of Ukraine which may differ from Canadian standards. Ukrainian authorities have advised that detailed requirements can be found in Administrative Order No 16 of 03.11.98 concerning the "Approval of the mandatory minimum list of tests on raw material, animal and plant origin products, raw matter for combined feeds, combined feeds, vitamin preparations and other, to be performed in State veterinary medicine laboratories and to be used as a ground for issuing a veterinary certificate."
- It is the responsibility of the operator of the exporting establishment to ensure that only meat products manufactured in accordance with Ukrainian requirements are exported to Ukraine.
- Shipments will be subjected to import testing when inspection is conducted upon arrival in Ukraine to verify compliance.
- The Ukrainian authorities reserve the right to inspect approved establishments at any time. Should the inspection reveal that the situation at the establishments is not in conformity with the Ukrainian requirements, the Ukrainian authorities will suspend export privileges of the establishment.
- Date modified: