Annex E - Specific requirements relative to over-land transit in the USA of meat derived from ruminants destined to Mexico
- The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), Veterinary Services (VS) have established conditions under which meat products derived from ruminants, destined to Mexico, will be allowed to transit through the USA.
- The products that will be allowed to transit are those that would be accepted for import into the United States. These products will require a Transit Permit issued by APHIS to a United States entity.
- The National Center for Import and Export (NCIE) will accept applications for Transit Permits for products that are currently permitted for entry into the United States. The shipment will not be required to go to an Import Establishment or I-House.
a. The shipment must be exported from the USA within 7 days of its entry;
b. The commodities are not transloaded while in the USA;
c. A copy of the import permit required is presented to the inspector at the port of arrival and the port of export in the USA.
- Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will verify the following:
- The shipment comes from a Canadian facility that is approved by USDA/Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) to export to the United States. (Any shipper that is listed on a Veterinary Import Permit would meet this condition).
- The Permittee or their agent presents the Import Permit, the corresponding supplementary attestation required by APHIS from the Canadian Government and other applicable documents to CBP.
- If the Permittee or their agent is requesting transportation and exportation (T&E) of the shipment to Mexico and has met all requirements of CBP for such movement then the shipment will be allowed to transit the United States without inspection at the FSIS I-House.
If the shipment is refused entry by Mexico for any reason, then the Permittee is responsible for contacting FSIS at 202-720-9904 to inform them that the shipment is returning from the Mexican Border.
- Date modified: