Language selection


European Union (EU) - Export requirements for honey and other apiculture products

On this page

1. Eligible/ineligible product


Note: Bee products for human consumption, such as honeycomb (comb honey), flavoured honey, royal jelly, bee propolis, and bee pollen, are also regulated under the Food and Drugs Act, the Food and Drugs Regulations. Additionally, honey for human consumption is regulated under the Safe Food for Canadians Act and Safe Food for Canadians Regulations.


2. Pre-export approvals by the competent authority of the importing country


Product specifications

Maximum levels for chemical contaminants

3. Production controls and inspection requirements

The inspector must verify during a preventive control inspection that the manufacturer is aware of the standards and requirements of the EU and has a specific export procedure in place. This procedure should clearly refer to the relevant EU regulations. See Other information section below.

Directive 2001/110/EC defines in Annex I different types of honey. Annex II lays down composition criteria to be met by honey when placed on the market or used in any other product intended for human consumption. These criteria regard sugar content, moisture, water-insoluble content, electrical conductivity, free acid, diastase activity and hydroxymethylfurfural content (HMF).

Imported honey

4. Labelling, packaging and marking requirements

Exported products depending on their final destination must meet certain packaging and labelling requirements. The exporter must work closely with the importer to ensure the compliance of their products.

5. Documentation requirements


It is the responsibility of the exporter to ensure that the issued certificate meets the requirements of the entry border control post (BCP) / member state of destination in terms of official language.

As a manufacturer/exporter and in order to facilitate the certification process, it is important that you are familiar with the content of parts I and II of the EU model certificates.

The export certificate will be issued through TRACES. The applicant must select the EU model certificate that corresponds to the product intended for export and complete Part I. Please note that the applicant is responsible for the details entered in Part I of the certificate. In addition, the applicant will need to include the EU reference IMSOC number (Box I.2.a of Part I of the certificate) with their export request in order for the CFIA to retrieve the certificate in TRACES.

Part II must be completed by a certifying officer (official veterinarian or official inspector). However, some information will have to be provided by the applicant in order for Part II to be completed, if applicable. This information should be provided in the form of a manufacturer's declaration when applying for an export certificate.

These animal health/official certificates shall be completed according to the notes for the completion of certificates provided for in Chapter 4 of Annex I to Implementing Regulation (EU) 2020/2235.

For more information about TRACES, please refer to the CFIA web page Exporting food and animal products to the European Union.

Export certificates cannot be issued after the products have left Canada.

6. Other information

Exported products transiting through a country may require transit documentation. It is the responsibility of the exporter to ensure that the shipment will be accompanied by all necessary certificates. Please work closely with your importer.

Samples (personal or commercial) of honey products may be subject to the same requirements as a regular shipment. It is strongly recommended that the exporter verify these requirements with their importer and / or at the EU border inspection post where the products will be shipped.

Links to the EU regulation:

Please ensure that you are using the most up-to-date/consolidated version. See EUR-Lex, the official and most comprehensive online access point to the EU legal documents.

Date modified: