Australia - Export requirements for milk and dairy products
On this page
- Eligible/ineligible product
- Pre-export approvals by the competent authority of the importing country
- Production controls and inspection requirements
- Labelling, packaging and marking requirements
- Documentation requirements
- Other information
1. Eligible/ineligible product
It is the responsibility of the exporter to ensure that the product being exported will be covered by the certificates issued by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA).
- All dairy products
- Information not available
2. Pre-export approvals by the competent authority of the importing country
- A valid import permit issued by the Australian Government Department of Agriculture, under the Biosecurity Act 2015, is required to import dairy products or dairy based foods containing 10% or more dairy ingredients into Australia.
- The food product and/or the dairy ingredients being used to manufacture it must meet the animal health and the public health requirements as specified on the import permit.
3. Production controls and inspection requirements
The inspector must verify during a preventive control inspection that the manufacturer is aware of the standards and requirements of Australia and has a specific export procedure in place.
4. Labelling, packaging and marking requirements
Products need to satisfy Australia labelling requirements.
5. Documentation requirements
- Health certificate for export of dairy products from Canada to Australia
- Note: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) does not have a certificate negotiated with Australian authorities. However, the Agency can issue the health certificate for export of dairy products from Canada to Australia, based on conditions set out in the permit.
- When requesting a certificate, the exporter must provide the CFIA with:
- Copy of the import permit
- Consignment specific manufacturer's declaration including any specific statements as required by the import permit
- A CFIA Manufacturer's declaration
- Veterinary certification from the country of origin for imported dairy ingredients
6. Other information
Further information on import requirements can be obtained from the Australian Government Department of Agriculture, and the Australian government's Biosecurity Import Conditions (BICON) database.
Australian Government Department of Agriculture
18 Marcus Clarke St, GPO Box 858
Canberra ACT 2601
- Date modified: