Import policies for live animals
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
Canada has specific import requirements in place to avoid introducing animal diseases to protect its people, plants and animals. Specific import requirements, based on the applicable animal health policies, can be reviewed in the Automated Import Reference System (AIRS).
If you are travelling with a pet or planning to import an animal to Canada, you will need the right paperwork at the border to meet Canada's import requirements. Find out what you need before you travel with your pet or import an animal.
- Import measures for live birds to prevent the introduction of Avian Influenza in domestic birds
- Requirements for pet birds imported from countries other than the United States
- Import of restricted feeder cattle from the United States
- Requirements for breeding cattle imported from the United States to Canada
- Import conditions for Canadian horses returning from European Union Member States
- Import conditions for horses from European Union Member States for temporary stay in Canada: horses for competition or racing, training and stallions for non-competitive entertainment
- Import conditions for horses from the European Union Member States for permanent stay in Canada: breeding horses, racing horses, horses for riding and pleasure, horses for non-competitive entertainment, and Andalusian horses
- Import conditions for horses from the United States for immediate slaughter
Ruminants (other than cattle)
- Requirements for small ruminants imported from the United States for breeding, domestic or captive purposes
- Requirements for small ruminants Imported from the United States for feeding and subsequent slaughter
- Requirements for small ruminants Imported from the United States for immediate slaughter
- Requirements for the movement of small ruminants transiting Canada by land between the continental United States and Alaska
- Requirements for captive non-domestic ruminants imported from the United States to Canada
- Import conditions for breeding swine from European Union Member States
- Import conditions for swine imported from the United States for research
Criteria for quarantine facilities
- Criteria for medium security quarantine facilities
- Criteria for minimum security quarantine facilities
- Criteria for quarantine facilities for commercial dogs less than 8 months of age (breeding, show/exhibition (permanent stay), and resale/adoption end uses) entering Canada by air
- Date modified: