Language selection


Requirements for the Movement of Small Ruminants Transiting Canada by Land Between the Continental United States and Alaska

This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).

Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository

June 8, 2011

Small ruminants are defined as members of the Family: Bovidae; Subfamily: Caprinae; Genus: Ovis and Capra. In general, the term "small ruminants" applies to sheep and goats and their exotic relatives (of the genus Ovis and Capra).



In-transit shipments will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and approved subject to a shipment's meeting CFIA requirements and the availability of the necessary CFIA resources.

For additional information on the U.S. requirements, please visit the USDA-APHIS animal import web page and review the section on "Procedures for Interstate Shipments of U.S. Origin Non-Bovine Ruminant Animals Transiting Through Canada (Also Pertains to Alaskan Intrastate Movements Through Canada)."

Documentation requirements

Import permit


A Canadian Import Permit can only be issued to a Canadian resident, a registered Canadian business, or a Canadian broker acting on behalf of a U.S. exporter.

Please see the additional information on the process of application for a permit to import.

USDA export certificate

General import notes


Test requirements


  1. Brucellosis: fluorescent polarization assay (FPA) test, or other test approvedFootnote 1 by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) for this purpose, performed within 30 days of import.
  2. Tuberculosis: the standard caudal fold tuberculin injection with a reading of results at 72 hours as "No Reaction" performed within 60 days of import.


No test requirements.

Additional information

Transportation requirements

Date modified: