Reporting humane animal transport concerns
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
The transport of animals is regulated to prevent injury or suffering of all animals. All those involved in transporting or causing animals to be transported, must ensure that every animal being loaded is fit for the trip and treated humanely.
If you see something, say something
If you believe you have witnessed someone who is not following the regulations regarding loading, transporting and unloading animals (such as rough handling, inadequate weather protection, or overcrowding), do the following:
- gather as many details as possible (for example, date, time, location, license plate number)
- report this information to the CFIA as soon as possible by contacting your local CFIA office
- CFIA's prosecution bulletins
- CFIA's Administrative Monetary Penalties
- Humane transport and animal welfare
- Bringing pets to Canada: rules for importing or travelling with animals
- Exporting terrestrial animals and animal products
- Codes of practice for the care and handling of farm animals
- Legal requirements (humane transportation overview)
- Transporting pets
- Transporting animals during cold weather
- Transport animals during hot and humid weather
- Date modified: