Language selection


Export of Dogs and Cats to the United States of America

This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).

Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) has no role in the export of dogs and cats to the United States of America (USA), including Hawaii. The completion and issuance of any required documentation (e.g. vaccination certificate, export health certificate) is the responsibility of a licensed Canadian veterinarian and official endorsement (i.e. stamp and signature) by a CFIA veterinarian is not required.

All the information for exporting dogs and cats to the USA is available on the United States Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (USDA APHIS) website.

Dogs and cats entering the USA may also be subject to requirements from other federal agencies and state authorities. It is the exporter’s responsibility to ensure that animals comply with all federal and state requirements. If you have additional questions about exporting a dog or cat to the USA, please contact the appropriate federal and/or state authorities in the USA.

Date modified: