Language selection


Export Certification of Animal By-Products Not for Human Consumption to the European Union

This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).

Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository

October 21, 2010

Export certification is based on Regulation No. 1774/2002 of the European Union Parliament and Council of 3 October 2002 laying down health rules concerning animal by-products not intended for human consumption.

The export documents listed in the table below represent the official certificates which are required by the European Union (EU) for materials shipped after the implementation of Regulation No. 1774/2002. The certificates are subject to change. As always, it is the responsibility of the exporter to confirm prior to shipment that they have the proper certificate endorsed.

The EU will not accept certificates endorsed after the product has been shipped from Canada.

Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) district offices will only endorse the certificates after facilities have been officially approved as compliant with EU Regulation No. 1774/2002 for exporting the certified commodity to the EU. (See Approval of Facilities to Export Animal By-Products Not Intended for Human Consumption to the European Union (EU) [AHPD-DSAE-IE-2009-8-1].)

Exporters should contact the CFIA Animal Health district office of their region for information on how to obtain this approval.

The original certificate must accompany the shipment.

The EU requires all import certificates to be in the official language of the port of entry into the EU. For the CFIA to endorse these certificates, they must be bilingual, using one of the official languages of Canada (French or English), and the official language of the EU port of entry.

Bilingual versions of these certificates are available on the CFIA's website.

In cases where the port of entry into the EU is located in a country where English is an official language, use the French-English version of the appropriate certificate.

Specified Risk Material (SRM) Certification: The EU requires SRM Certification to be included as the last page of certificates for most animal by-products derived from bovine, ovine and caprine animals. The requirement may vary among countries. The standard SRM Certification is included in the table below. Exporters should confirm prior to shipment that this certificate complies with the importing EU member state requirements. Some EU member states may have additional requirements.

Export certificates for the European Union

Commodity exported to EU - Chapter of Regulation No. 1774/2002 - Availability


If the exported product contains imported ingredients that fall under Regulation No. 1774/2002, it is the exporter's responsibility to obtain from the country of origin of the imported ingredient, the following:

Date modified: