Florfenicol (FLOR) – Medicating Ingredient Brochure
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
Status: Veterinary prescription required for approved claims
Revised July 2022
|Approved livestock species||Approved claim(s)
(abbreviated)Table note 1
|Withdrawal time||Name of approved brand(s)|
||12 days (meat or released as stocker fish)||
|Approved claims||Name of approved brand(s)||Drug concentration in DIN product|
||Florfenicol (in a palatable base) at 500 g/kg|
For the treatment of furunculosis caused by susceptible strains of Aeromonas salmonicida in salmon.
Level of medicating ingredient in a complete feed
200 mg/kg to 2000 mg/kg (0.020% to 0.20%) of florfenicol in the complete feed to deliver a dose of 10 mg florfenicol per kg of body weight per day.
Directions for use in a complete feed
This livestock feed contains a medically important antibiotic. To reduce the development of antimicrobial resistance and maintain effectiveness, use this antibiotic prudently.
Feed this medicated feed as the sole ration for 10 consecutive days.
Additional information (not to appear on feed labels)
For feed manufacturers
- The medicated feed should deliver 10 mg florfenicol/kg body weight.
- 2000 mg/kg (0.20%) is the correct concentration level when the feeding rate (% of body weight) is 0.5% (20 000 kg of fish medicated for 10 days per metric tonne of feed). If the feeding rate differs, the concentration of florfenicol in the feed must be adjusted accordingly (see Table 1).
- Feed labels must state one specific feeding rate (% of body weight), drug level and the kilograms of fish medicated for 10 days per metric tonne of feed.
- Mix into non-medicated feed prior to pelleting, or use to surface coat pelleted feed.
- For surface coating at the farm premises:
- Using an appropriate mixer, thoroughly mix the contents of one 25 kg bag of non-medicated fish feed with the amount of florfenicol medicated premix that has been calculated based on the chosen feeding rate.
- Add approximately 1 litre of fish oil or vegetable oil and mix together for several minutes more to ensure uniform coating.
|Feeding rate (% of body weight)||Amount of florfenicol medicated premix (kg) required per metric tonne of feed||Kilograms (kg) of fish biomass medicated for 10 days per metric tonne of medicated feed|
- Store in a dry place between 2°C and 30°C.
- Use florfenicol medicated premix within 12 months of opening pouch.
- Treated fish must not be harvested for use in food, or released as stocker fish, for at least 12 days after the latest treatment with this drug.
- Do not use in fish maintained at water temperatures below 5°C.
- Avoid inhalation of dust and contact with skin and eyes. Wear protective clothing (mask and gloves). Wash hands after handling.
- Keep out of reach of children.
Additional information to be added as notes to feed labels
- Use medicated feed not more than 6 months after manufacture.
- Keep separate from other feeds.
- Date modified: