Archived - Independent Review of XL Foods Inc. Beef Recall 2012
This page has been archived
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or record-keeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
In February 2013, the Government of Canada appointed an Independent Expert Advisory Panel to conduct a review of events and circumstances related to Establishment 38, XL Foods Inc., and the E. coli O157:H7 investigation and recall.
The advisory panel which comprised of recognized scientific, public health, and industry experts, completed their review and released the report on June 5, 2013.
In general, the report found that the response and recall went well and the rapid activation of the CFIA's National Emergency Response Team was a key component of dealing with the event effectively.
The panel also made recommendations, which focus on four areas:
- Strengthening prevention strategies and regulatory oversight
- Strengthening surveillance and trend analysis
- Strengthening incident management and recall response
- Strengthening communication with public and stakeholders about providing food safety messages
- 2010 Canada's World Ranking on Food Safety (Table 1)
- 2010 Canada's World Ranking on Food Safety (Table 2)
- CFIA Inspectors and Field Inspection Staff
- CFIA: Investments 2006-07 to 2013-14
- Date modified: