Annual Report on Travel, Hospitality and Conference Expenditures
Canadian Food Inspection Agency 2020 to 2021
As required by the Treasury Board Directive on Travel, Hospitality, Conferences and Event Expenditures, this report provides information on the total annual expenditures for each of travel, hospitality and conferences for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2021.
Travel, hospitality and conferences expenditures incurred by federal department or agency relate to activities that support the department or agency's mandate and the government's priorities.
In particular, for the CFIA this includes the delivery of the following core programs and/or services to Canadians:
- The CFIA is dedicated to safeguarding food safety and animal and plant health, which enhances Canada's environment, economy, and the health and well-being of its residents
- The CFIA administers and enforces 10 federal statutes and 22 sets of regulations. In addition to supporting a sustainable plant and animal resource base, these statutes and regulations regulate the safety and quality of food and agricultural inputs sold in Canada, such as feed, seed, fertilizers, and veterinary biologics
- The CFIA develops program requirements, conducts laboratory testing, and delivers inspections and other services in order to
- prevent and manage food safety risks
- protect plant resources from regulated pests, diseases and invasive species
- prevent and manage animal and zoonotic diseases
- contribute to consumer protection
- contribute to market access for Canada's food, plants, animals and their products
Travel is essential for the delivery of these services.
Canadian Food Inspection Agency travel, hospitality and conference expenditures for year ending March 31, 2021
|Expenditure category||Expenditures for the year ending March 31, 2021 (in thousands of dollars)||Expenditures for the year ending March 31, 2020 (in thousands of dollars)||Variance
(in thousands of dollars)
|A. Total travel||2,357||10,601||(8,244)|
|C. Conference fees||73||192||(119)|
|International travel by minister and minister's staff (included in travel)||0||0||0|
Explanation of significant variances compared with previous fiscal year
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, governments across Canada took wide-ranging steps to mitigate and contain the spread of COVID-19, which included travel restrictions and stay-at-home policies. Through the use of new technology and the mitigation and containment efforts for COVID-19, the CFIA saw a significant reduction in travel, hospitality and conference fee expenditures in 2020 to 2021 compared to 2019 to 2020.
- Date modified: