Archived - Report on Annual Expenditures for Travel, Hospitality and Conferences (2018-2019)
This page has been archived
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or record-keeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
As required by the Treasury Board Directive on Travel, Hospitality, Conferences and Event Expenditures, this report provides information on the total annual expenditures for each of travel, hospitality and conferences for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2019.
This information is updated annually and does not contain information withheld under the Access to Information Act or the Privacy Act.
Expenditures on travel, hospitality and conferences incurred by federal departments and agencies are related to supporting departmental mandate(s) and the government's priorities.
In particular, for the CFIA, this includes the delivery of the following core programs and/or services to Canadians:
- CFIA is dedicated to safeguarding food safety and animal and plant health, which enhances Canada's environment, economy, and the health and well-being of its residents
- CFIA administrates and enforces 10 federal statutes and 23 sets of regulations. In addition to supporting a sustainable plant and animal resource base, these statutes and regulations regulate the safety and quality of food and agricultural inputs sold in Canada, such as feed, seed, fertilizers, and veterinary biologics
- CFIA develops program requirements, conducts laboratory testing, and delivers inspections and other services in order to
- prevent and manage food safety risks
- protect plant resources from regulated pests, diseases and invasive species
- prevent and manage animal and zoonotic diseases
- contribute to consumer protection
- contribute to market access for Canada's food, plants, animals and their products
Travel is essential for the delivery of these services.
Travel, hospitality and conferences expenditures
|Expenditure category||Expenditures for the year ending March 31, 2019
(in thousands of dollars)
|Expenditures for the year ending March 31, 2018
(in thousands of dollars)
|A. Total Travel||13,102||13,218||(116)|
|C. Conference fees||184||181||3|
Significant variances compared to the previous fiscal year
The 2018-19 travel for operational activities decreased compared to the 2017-18 travel largely due to the conclusion of the of the Bovine Tuberculosis emergency outbreak in Alberta. With the conclusion of the outbreak specialists were no longer required to be deployed to the area to support the investigation.
- Date modified: