Share your thoughts: Winter 2023 Seed Regulatory Modernization Consultation (excluding seed potatoes)
Current status: Closed
This consultation ran from February 15, 2023 to May 1, 2023.
About the consultation
The purpose of this consultation was to update stakeholders on progress made to date towards modernizing the Seeds Regulations. Your feedback will inform decision-making.
This consultation was the first of two consultations planned for seed regulatory modernization (SEED-RM) related to seed crops only; it did not include updates or questions specific to seed potatoes or Part II of the Seeds Regulations.
A separate consultation process for the seed potato industry is planned and will include several in-person meetings with a wide cross-section of seed potato stakeholders.
Who was the focus of this consultation
The CFIA sought comments from businesses and other organizations in the farming and grain industries, as well as farmers, producers, seed growers, seed analysts, seed developers, seed conditioners, the general public and others who have an interest in the following aspects of the seed regulatory lifecycle:
- variety registration
- seed crop certification, including crop inspection and crop certificates
- harvesting, cleaning and conditioning of seed and
- sampling, testing and grading of seed
The next consultation will include these and other stages of the seed regulatory lifecycle, including seed certification and labeling, sale of seed to farmers, as well as seed import and export.
- Canada's current seed regulatory framework introduces the reports available at the initiation of SEED-RM and describes in sections 2.0 and 2.1 the current seed regulatory framework for seed (excluding seed potatoes). It identifies the current regulations, standards and policies, and players involved at each stage of the seed regulatory lifecycle.
- The seed regulatory modernization webpage provides information on the purpose of SEED-RM, the purpose of the SEED-RM working groups, scope of SEED-RM, consultation activities to date, including the Needs Assessment Survey and SEED-RM Task Teams, and information on key SEED-RM activities and next steps.
Plant Production Division
- Date modified: