Archived - Proposed document to be incorporated by reference into the Food and Drug Regulations
This page has been archived
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or record-keeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Pre-publication of Food Labelling Modernization regulatory amendments in the Canada Gazette, Part I
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) consulted on amendments to the Food and Drug Regulations and the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations stemming from the Food Labelling Modernization initiative. The proposed amendments were pre-published in the Canada Gazette, Part I for a consultation period that ended on September 4, 2019.
This document is incorporated by reference into the Food and Drug Regulations and was also part of the Canada Gazette, Part I consultation.
Prepackaged Products which do not Require a Best Before Date
- Prepackaged whole fresh fruits and whole fresh vegetables, including tubers, which are packaged in a manner so that they are clearly visible to the purchaser or consumer
- Prepackaged products that are wines, liqueur wines, sparkling wines, aromatized wines, fruit wines and sparkling fruit wines
- Prepackaged alcoholic beverages containing at least 10% alcohol by volume
- Prepackaged alcoholic beverages subject to compositional standards in Division 2 of the Food and Drug Regulations
- Prepackaged bakers' or pastry-cooks' wares which, given the nature of their content, are normally consumed within 24 hours of their manufacture
- Prepackaged vinegar
- Prepackaged non-iodized food grade salt
- Prepackaged non-fortified solid sugars
- Prepackaged confectionery products consisting virtually all of flavoured or coloured sugars
- Prepackaged chewing gum
- A frozen prepackaged product that is intended for resale under room or refrigerated conditions of storage, if instructions are shown on the label of the shipping container of the frozen prepackaged product for resale that would inform the person who will be changing its condition of storage, of the best before date to apply to the prepackaged product for resale
- A prepackaged product for resale that is a food in a modified atmosphere package and the prepackaged product is intended for resale in a manner which exposes the food to the ambient atmosphere, if instructions are shown on the label of the shipping container of the prepackaged product for resale that would inform the person who will be exposing the food to the ambient atmosphere of the best before date to apply to the prepackaged product for resale. For this purpose, "modified atmosphere package" means a package comprising vapour-barrier materials where the ambient atmosphere surrounding a food has been removed or replaced before sealing the food within the package
- Date modified: