Proposed changes to the Feeds Regulations: Closed consultation
Current status: Closed
The initial 90-day consultation period ran from June 12 to September 10, but was extended by 35 days until October 15, 2021.
As part of the process to modernize the feed regulations, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) sought feedback on proposed changes to the Feeds Regulations, 1983, in the Canada Gazette, Part I.
The proposed amendments would be a major update to the federal Feeds Regulations, 1983, that will more effectively manage risks that livestock feeds pose to animal health, human health and the environment, reflect international standards and keep up with industry innovation, science and technology.
Overall, safe feeds contribute to the production of healthy livestock and safe foods of animal origin for consumers. The CFIA verifies that livestock feeds manufactured, sold or imported in Canada are safe for animal health, comply with federal standards and are safe for livestock that will be used for human consumption (for example, meat, milk and eggs).
Who was the focus of this consultation
The CFIA engaged with the public, academia, other government departments, and organizations or individuals with an interest in livestock feeds in Canada, including:
- livestock feed manufacturers
- feed ingredient manufacturers
- feed retailers
- feed importers
- feed exporters
- livestock owners and producers
- producer associations
- feed industry associations
- feed ingredient associations
- veterinary associations
Key points for discussion
The CFIA sought feedback on the proposed changes to the Feeds Regulations, which included:
- hazard analysis, and preventive control plans
- licensing requirements
- using incorporation by reference
- increasing regulatory alignment with trading partners
- reducing the number of feeds that require registration
- increasing record-keeping requirements
- new traceability requirements
- Proposed Feeds Regulations in the Canada Gazette, Part I
- Feed regulatory modernization
- Feeds Regulations, 1983
- Feeds Act
- Notice to industry – Extension of consultation on proposed changes to the Feeds Regulations
If you have any questions about this consultation, please send an email to the Animal Feed and Veterinary Biologics Division.
- Date modified: