CFIA's Indigenous Summer Student Program
Are you an indigenous student?
Come work for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) this summer and be a part of the Indigenous Summer Student Program!
Gain valuable work experience in a comfortable work environment while contributing to the Canadian federal public service where you may have the opportunity to be hired into a career when you graduate from your post-secondary studies!
This exciting program includes mentorship from an Indigenous CFIA employee, cultural events with other Indigenous students, skills training workshops, and networking opportunities
What do I need to apply for the Indigenous Summer Student (ISSP) program?
You need to be either a high school student who will be attending college or university in September or a student currently attending college or university.
To be eligible for this program, you also need to self-identify as Indigenous/Aboriginal (First Nation, Métis or Inuit).
What jobs are available to me as a student?
Many student positions are available nationally, including:
- Science – Agriculture, Biology, Chemistry, Inspection, Laboratory technology, Veterinary medicine
- Corporate Services – Administration, Policy and Programs, Communications, Finance and Statistics, Human Resources, Computer systems/IT
Are there any other components to ISSP aside from the work placement?
Besides the part-time or full time work at your placement, you will have opportunities to participate in skill building workshops as well as cultural Indigenous events and training, and network opportunities through the spring/summer. Your ISSP mentor will be a CFIA Indigenous employee and member of the National Indigenous Advisory Circle (NIAC).
ISSP is a rewarding program for Indigenous students at the CFIA who want to improve existing skills and gain new ones. Benefits for students in ISSP can include:
- Receive personalized advice and guidance
- Develop new skills and gaining new experiences
- Learn more about the Agency
- Contribute to your career development
- Learn new things about yourself
- Expand your professional network
- Learn to be dedicated to a professional relationship
- Engage in a welcoming and supportive community
- Share and explore Indigenous cultures and backgrounds of students from across the country
Who do I contact for more information?
If you are interested in applying for the CFIA's Indigenous Summer Student Program or if you would like more information about the program, please send your questions or resume to: email@example.com.
- Date modified: