Work as a veterinarian at the CFIA
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)'s veterinarians play an important role in Canadian food safety and animal health. Their work enhances the health and well-being of Canada's people, environment and economy. They deliver science-based regulatory services to safeguard Canada's food, animals and plants and support continued market access.
Our veterinarians are part of the first line of defense against the spread of many diseases - ensuring the health and safety of Canadians.
Veterinarians joining the CFIA belong to the Veterinary Medicine (VM) occupational group. We're hiring at the VM-01 level for Meat Hygiene and Animal Health positions in various locations across Canada.
Are you ready to make a change?
Why you should join the CFIA as a veterinarian
If you are looking for work life balance, we offer structured work hours for flexible work-life balance.
The CFIA has great benefits, such as:
- 1 of the best pension plans in Canada
- disability and life insurance
- excellent health, dental and benefit plans
Paid vacation and overtime for our veterinarians include:
- 3 weeks of vacation per year upon hiring, and 4 weeks after the first year
- 3 weeks of cumulative sick leave per year
- other paid leave, such as 1 week for family-related responsibilities and 2 days for personal reasons
- paid overtime
You will also benefit from:
- reimbursement of veterinarian membership fees
- continuing education, development and advancement opportunities
- assistance with relocation expenses, as applicable
Learn more about our current veterinary staff
Veterinarians working at the CFIA have the opportunity to become involved in the One Health initiative and work with multidisciplinary partners on a unified approach to global health threats. One Health recognizes that the health of people, animals, plants, and the environment are linked, and common threats should be addressed with a collaborative and integrated approach. Apply now and you can join our veterinary community of practice to advance One Health at the CFIA.
Read the stories of veterinarians who are currently working at the CFIA:
- Dr. Mary Jane Ireland, Chief Veterinary Officer
- Dr. Yves Robinson, Veterinary Pathologist
- Dr. Carmencita Lake, Veterinarian
- Dr. Caitlyn Best, Veterinary Program Officer
We celebrate diversity
When you join the CFIA, you become part of our vision for equity, diversity and inclusion. The CFIA is creating an inclusive workplace free from barriers, racism, harassment, and discrimination, supported by all employees.
We believe that a diverse workforce is about more than visible differences; it's about creating a rich and creative pool of talent that can take the agency – and its employees – to new levels of success by blending:
- work and communication styles
- educational, cultural and linguistic backgrounds
- lifestyle approaches
- stages of life
- belief systems
The CFIA considers applications from individuals who have legal status to work in Canada and does not give preference to Canadian citizens.
Contact our veterinary recruitment team
Our veterinary recruitment team is here to answer questions you may have about this exciting career opportunity and can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Date modified: