Language selection



Ask CFIA provides guidance on food regulatory questions submitted by Canadian businesses and non-resident importers (NRI) eligible to hold a Safe Food for Canadians (SFC) licence.


If you are not eligible to obtain a SFC licence as a NRI, please work directly with a SFC licence holder to determine the import requirements for the food product(s) you wish to export to Canada.

For information on how to comply with food regulatory requirements, please refer to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency's (CFIA) Toolkit for food businesses. If you are not able to find information on the topic you are looking for, please submit an enquiry to our Ask CFIA team using the Contact CFIA online form.

Following the online submission of your enquiry, you will receive an email acknowledgement of receipt with a web response identification (ID) number. A minimum service expectation date will also be provided to give you an indication of when a written response to your question can be anticipated.

Questions related to an inspection or on-going investigation are beyond the scope of Ask CFIA, and should be directed to your local inspector, Veterinarian in Charge, or your local or regional CFIA office.

In addition, enquiries related to your My CFIA account, imported shipments being held at the border, and plant or animal health related enquiries should be directed to the following contacts:

Date modified: